While there have been misguided statements suggesting that Bitcoin is the next Internet, this would be true only if the analogy were limited to a growth metric and not a technological comparison. The Internet is simply a network enabling interoperability between cooperating entities. This is totally unlike Bitcoin. This Note evaluates the potential impact if new solutions with significant volume embed proof of ownership into the Bitcoin blockchain for long-term assets, such as stock holdings, property, or car titles.
“Marc Andreessen is correct that the Bitcoin trust algorithm is a fundamental breakthrough in computer science, but the construct of Bitcoin operations that incent Bitcoin ‘miners’ was not part of that mathematical proof,” said Tim Sloane, VP, Payments Innovation, and author of report. “Bitcoin embodies social science associated with the behavior of the miners, developers, and others; political science within the voting process that determine future enhancements; economic theory which establishes the value of bitcoin required to keep miners incented to mine for trust; and computer science that guides the software development, distribution, and management that keep this whole crazy Bitcoin ecosystem operational. This research note evaluates what might happen if significant volume of low-value transactions is added to Bitcoin and provides recommendations”
This research note is 12 pages long and contains 3 exhibits.
Members of Mercator Advisory Group's Emerging Technologies Advisory Service have access to this research note as well as the upcoming research for the year ahead, presentations, analyst access, and other membership benefits.
One of the exhibits included in this report:
Highlights of the report include:
- Mercator Advisory Group’s definition of a sidechain and identification of technological mechanisms for implementing sidechains
- An overview of what Mercator terms “the Bitcoin economy,” which links the attributes of value, transactions, fees, and Bitcoin miners in a balanced choreography
- The brittleness of this choreography and documentation of examples of situations that tested that brittle nature
- Discussion of new approaches to sidechains that have been documented, with identification of where they will likely add significant value and where they continue to risk breaking the Bitcoin economic model
- Mercator Advisory Group’s recommendations for managing the risks outlined
Learn More About This Report & Javelin
Generative AI has been around for over a year now and has dominated discussions about how the emerging technology stands to transform payments. This Javelin Strategy & Research rep...
Latin America—as a region and as ground being seeded for the future of payments—is vast, diverse, and resistant to attempts to bring it into homogeneity. The region encompasses aro...
The metaverse of today isn’t like the metaverse of old science fiction. In fact, it’s not one thing at all, but many virtual worlds, each with its own opportunities for players in ...